Saturday, May 03, 2008

Portrait of an allergic kid at a birthday party



Colin went to his best friend's birthday party, which was held at one of those kids' gyms. He saw everyone else's cake, pointed and said, "I want... pancake." (Can you tell he doesn't eat a lot of sweets?) I said, "Hey, remember what we made last night? I brought your chocolate chip muffins!" He said, "Yeah, I want choc chip muffin." So he sat down and ate with the rest of the kids, and had the same juice as everyone else. I even brought him some light whipped cream as "dipping sauce". He ate everything right up, wiped his mouth and hands, then went back out to play.

Now why, you might ask, did I not make cupcakes, so they'd be more similar to the cake the kids were eating? Because when I told him, "Hey, Colin, we're going to make cupcakes to take to Gunnar's birthday party," he said, "No - I want muffins." So we made Oatmeal Banana Applesauce Chocolate Chip Muffins - his favorites! And yes, he helped me put all of the ingredients in the bowl and everything. He was completely part of the process!

And at the party, not one kid said, "Why don't you have cake?" (They're only three years old, of course - I know that the teasing is coming, though hopefully it will never come to this.) Not one parent mentioned it. It was obvious that he was not eating cake, but he was not left out by any means because I had come prepared, and shown Colin how to prepare himself. Yet everyone had the courtesy to not single him out.

THANK YOU!

No comments: