Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Keebler and Lucerne (Safeway) Allergen Labelling: YAY!

More progress in my search for safer foods for Colin...

I called Keebler's toll-free number. Their easy-to-follow automatic directory led me (in minimal keystrokes) to their allergen information. They list the top allergens on their label, and if there's a chance of cross-contamination (in that the foods are processed in a facility that also processes the top allergens), that is noted on the packaging as "may contain..."

This means that I can keep chocolate-covered graham crackers at school for Colin for when there are birthdays and the teacher can't give me advance warning to bring a safe treat to school for him.

Unfortunately, the ones I bought today at Safeway must go back... I didn't notice the date on them was February '08. Ewwwwwww!

Then I called Lucerne (the Safeway store brand) regarding their packaging. Hummus doesn't contain one of the top allergens, so there wasn't anything on the label. (And I'm extra careful, as Colin had a reaction when eating hummus about a year ago that was cross-contaminated - watch out for those Trader Joe's foods!) After a two-minute wait for the next customer service rep to be available, I was told that if there was a chance of cross-contamination due to processing, it would be noted on the label as, "Processed in a plant that also processes...."

Feeling relief... I "taste-tested" the Lucerne hummus for lunch... so much deliciousness and protein for just two grams of fat per serving! I'm excited that Colin will be able to eat hummus again, because he loves it!

No comments: