Tuesday, May 06, 2008

General Mills and Ghirardelli: Allergy Labelling Heroes!

As I prepare to make six gajillion cupcakes for Colin's birthday party next month, I was already feeling wan and tired thinking about doing them all from scratch.

So I perused online stores and found Cherrybrook Farms... peanut/nut-free mixes!

But I like to order online only as a last resort. So I went to the supermarket to see what I could see.

Ghirardelli clearly marks "Contains: Wheat, soy. This product is manufactured on machinery that also processes peanuts and tree nuts." So that's out... (but thanks for the great allergy labelling!)

Betty Crocker products had the "Contains wheat and milk ingredients" printed, but none of the cross-contamination info. So I gave General Mills a call.

The nice customer service rep said that they do not take any risks, so if there's even the smallest chance that there might be cross-contamination, they put it in the bolded "contains" area of the packaging. In addition, they work closely with FAAN, and will send to allergic consumers any information about changes in their products that influence allergen ingredients.

So Colin will get Betty Crocker cupcakes for his birthday party.

According to Hershey's website, they are so worried about cross-contamination that they process their nut-free products in a different facility. But I'm going to give them a call before I use any Hershey's Chocolate in anything...

1 comment:

Modern Allergy Mom said...

We have been able to buy the PLAIN Hershey bars for my peanut allergic son. I always double check the package. we even found plain Hershey bars shaped like bunnies for Easter.