Monday, November 15, 2004

Approaching 14 Weeks

And all's clear. ;) Last Thursday, went to doctor for checkup and to hear heartbeat. Hubby came with. (I told him that I'd be fine going to most appts. by myself, but would tell him if a "meaningful" appt. was planned so he could attend.)

The doc moved the Doppler around my abdomen. Nothing. Just as I thought - I couldn't really have been pregnant this whole time. I was just getting fat. And tired and hungry. For no reason.

The Doppler heard my thoughts and replied, "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

Then the doc said, "Oh- there it is!"

I strained to listen: "Ftftftftftftftftftftftft."

My husband leaned forward. "I can't hear it."

Fetus replied, "Ftftftftftftftftftftftft."

158 bpm, totally normal.

And that's when I realized, "OH MY GOD there's actually something in there." It's like a swallowed a little mouse or something and it's been living in my stomach. Weird. It really is. Can't believe there's something alive in there. It's like something out of "Alien", but it's real life. Wow.

No ultrasound until Dec. 23. Will definitely find out sex of baby. (Told my mom, "Not 'gender' - gender is a social construct!") People say, "Oh, you don't want to be surprised?" I say, "Something weighing eight pounds squeezing out of South Carolina will be surprise enough." ;)

No comments: