Monday, January 14, 2008

Kikkoman takes care of their customers

I wrote to Kikkoman on Sunday, inquiring after their processing of soy and Teriyaki sauces. Hubby and I have been longing to make stir-fry, and since eating out at a Chinese (or really any Asian) restaurant is now prohibited due to Colin's peanut/tree-nut allergies, I decided to start searching out sauces that we could use. My concern, naturally, was that non-peanut sauces might be cross-contaminated with peanut (or nuts). I received this reply THIS MORNING in my e-mail:

--------------------------------------
Dear Ms. SomeonesMom:
We received your e-mail inquiring about Kikkoman Soy and Teriyaki Sauces. You asked if these sauces and any of our non-peanut sauces are "processed on equipment shared with peanut/nut products" because you would like to avoid any chance of cross contamination with these allergens.

Kikkoman soy, Teriyaki and other sauces that are brewed and produced by Kikkoman Foods, Inc. in Walworth, WI do not contain any kind of peanuts or nuts in them. Therefore, the soy and teriyaki sauces manufactured at this plant would be free of cross contamination. Please check the back of the label to see where the sauce was produced.

We hope you find this information helpful to you as you plan your meals. If we may be of further assistance, please let us know.

Sincerely,
KIKKOMAN INTERNATIONAL INC.
Consumer Services
-----------------------------

So I checked the back of the Teriyaki sauce we already had in the refrigerator: didn't say where it was made (just that it was distributed by Kikkoman in San Francisco, CA). Then I checked the soy sauce and light soy sauce we had: Walworth, WI!

I went to the store and took a look at the Teriyaki sauce that was just the same as the one in our refrigerator. Nothing listed. However, when I looked at the light Teriyaki sauce, it was marked as made in Walworth, WI. Bingo!

So of course I brought it.

And again, of course, I managed to drop the grocery bag six inches to the floor of the garage, just outside the door to the kitchen... and I broke the bottle of light Teriyaki sauce.

Considering everything that's going on in our lives right now, I wasn't about to cry over... spilled Teriyaki.

I was more thrilled with the overall message I took away from this experience: Kikkoman offers prompt customer service and specific answers. They told me exactly what I needed to know, how to obtain needed information, and that they actually cared about their customers.

What I'm listening to: That "Tattoo" song by Jordin Sparks
I just: Ate a snack-sized KitKat
Now I'm gonna: Write some thank-you cards

No comments: