Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Does this look like a kid with Giardia?


Just checking. Because the test results from 1/2/08 indicate that he has Giardia! He's one of those rare individuals who shows NO signs, NO symptoms, yet has it.

Thank goodness I persuaded his pediatrician to order a lab test... for a kid with no symptoms.

So what happened?

Back in October, there was a sign on the door of his daycare class indicating that a child in the class had Giardia. When I asked a teacher about it, she said that the child had been having diarrhea, but the parents kept bringing him to daycare anyway (!!!). They kept calling the parents to take him home, saying, "You can't bring your child if they have diarrhea!" Finally, they said, "This is not clearing up - you should get him tested." The parents relented at last... and found out he had Giardia.

A couple weeks went by, and two more cases popped up.

Then November was silent.

In December, another notice went up. Turns out EIGHT more children had Giardia. EIGHT. A letter went out to parents just before the Christmas break, stating that if your child is tested and comes back "negative", they'd be put in a different room, with all of the "negative" kids. They had come in on a weekend and bleached down the entire room. They had called the Dept. of Health, which had sent reps in to give an additional workshop on precautions with diaper changes.

So, just to be helpful, I thought Colin should be tested. Then, once he came back "negative", he could go into the "negative" class after Christmas break.

The day after Christmas, with the scent of pine in the air, and some still-unwrapped presents under the tree, I scooped poo into vials.

Then we waited.

The pediatrician's office called the day after New Year's... with a bit of shock in the voice... Colin was positive for Giardia!

Talk about a stunner. How long had he had it? How many other kids in that class could be positive, little ticking time-bombs of Giardia poo, without knowing it?

So then I needed to call my doctor and persuade them to sign a lab sheet, even though I had no symptoms. And my husband had to do the same. Both offices hesitated greatly until we mentioned Colin's asymptomatic "positive". (And the fact that I was just days/weeks from having a baby.)

We're still waiting for our lab results.

In the meantime, Colin can't go to daycare on his usual days. Which, of course, are the days I'm supposed to be going to obstetrical appointments, taking extra naps, and running errands that I won't be able to do once the baby comes (not immediately, at least). The poor kid is not getting enough exercise, between me being so pregnant and having all of these sciatic/back issues, not being able to take him to gym class (because of my same issues), not going to school, and the rainstorms that prevent trike-riding and park time.

We've had three calls from the Dept. of Health. Luckily, all of the people I've spoken with ARE SO FRIENDLY AND PERSONABLE AND PROFESSIONAL. One nurse is going to bring the next two sets of vials for poo sampling to the house, so I only have to deal with drop-offs (because of my impending labor and delivery). My favorite part, though, was when the nurse was doing a questionnaire with me over the phone to determine where Colin might have swallowed water from a stream or eaten dirt. I said, "I know where he got Giardia. He got it at daycare when a kid had it back in October and his parents kept bringing him to school. There's a big outbreak there now that they can't get under control."

So Colin needs to take medicine for 10 days, three times per day. The first two days were fine, then he decided that he hated the medicine. (It's very bitter, even when mixed into a cherry base syrup.) I started mixing it into chocolate syrup, which is an incredibly rare treat for him. That worked for another two days, but was messy and difficult to administer. Then I hit on it: squirt the medicine in his mouth, tell him to "swallow quickly!", then squirt whipped cream into his mouth. Well, that's been a HUGE hit. It's worked like a charm. I don't know how I came up with that one; I have never had whipped cream squirted into my own mouth! But I'm glad I did. I'm like freakin' Mary Poppins over here now, with my spoonful of.... whipped cream.

It's just been rough in that Colin is having to take medicine, even though he doesn't feel sick; he can't go to school, and doesn't understand why; we have to bleach down all of his toys (the nurse's suggestion from today), which sent him into a tizzy because he thought we were putting away all of his toys in the garage so he'd never see them again; and, of course, I'm pregnant and supposed to be taking it easy.

BTW, if I come back "positive", the doctor said she wouldn't treat me unless I became symptomatic. She'd treat me after the baby was born. (And, of course, I'd need to tell Labor and Delivery that I had Giardia so they could make accommodations for that when I delivered.) In addition, if I started on medication, I'd have to pump-and-dump milk, as the medicine is not compatible with nursing.

SOOOOOOOOOO.... needless to say, our household has been turned upside down in the weeks when we really need it least. But we need to make sure our home becomes Giardia-free before the baby comes, as it can be a real danger to infants (dehydration, failure to thrive, hospitalization, etc.).

As my husband says: "Damn daycare!"

What I'm listening to: Matt watching "Nova" without me. Stop!
I just: Started watching "Nova" without him, then paused it. ;)
Now I'm gonna: Pour some orange juice and go chastize poor Matt

No comments: