Wednesday, June 11, 2008

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH

I feel sick to my stomach.

I got offered a great job with a great school district with the caseload I was looking for - elementary-school aged kids.

So what's the problem?

They pay nearly $17,000 less per year than the district in which I live. That district also has a job open, but in a mild-to-moderate preschool class. Since I see preschoolers in my private practice, I was kind of looking forward to working with older kids again.

But I had a problem with getting paid $17,000 less per year. For nearly the same job.

Of course, since I'd only be part-time, the difference is less than $17,000 per year. But it's still a major difference.

I couldn't put off a decision any longer, so I called... and got HR's voicemail. So I left a voicemail and explained that the job sounded like a WONDERFUL fit except for the fact that, since my children were of daycare age and not school age, the amount offered to me wouldn't cover daycare for two kids each day. Another district could pay significantly more, so I had to consider that. I hoped, perhaps, that when my children were in school, I might re-apply if they had an opening at that time.

So I guess that's it.

(sigh)

No comments: