Tuesday, December 04, 2007

I finally get The Question

So, while working with my class of five students - all aged four years, but for one (who is a very mature five-and-a-half) - I finally got The Question.

Student A: Did you have your baby yet?

Me (pointing to my stomach): Nope, it's still in there. You just can't see it as well because I'm wearing black, which is slimming.

(Female student nods approvingly - scary! I was just joking!)

Student B: How is the baby going to get out?

(Uh-oh! Think quickly!)

Me: I'm going to go to the hospital and have the doctor take it out.

Student B: Then the doctor cuts it in half?

(????)

Me: The doctor doesn't cut the baby in half!

Student B: No, your stomach.

(Another student, running late, comes up the portable ramp and distracts the children. Partial success!)


In other news, apparently, the other SLP got "in trouble" (her words) for mentioning that the Pilgrims left England because they wanted to worship God - this was in response to a student's question, mind you. I said, "Yeah, I sanitized that one down to, 'The Pilgrims wanted to live a certain way, and there were mean people being mean to them, and they felt sad, so they got on the Mayflower and came to America.'"


In non-school-related news, I was stunned by my son's admission yesterday. We were playing with his trains at the table, and suddenly, I noticed that he was kind of looking off to the side, with a smile on his place, and then he kind of chuckled. I asked, "Colin - what are you thinking about?" He looked at me and said, "About Gigi, and Grandma, come visit Colin." He was daydreaming! He was reliving his visit to Gigi (great-grandma) with Grandma from the week before (his grammar was off, but I knew of what he was speaking). I said, "Oh, yeah, you had fun! What did you do with Gigi?" He said, "Gigi and Colin eat cheese. 'Oooo, wow, cheese!' Then, we pick oranges, apples. Twist, twist, PULL! Fall down the tree. Pick up."

I can't believe it... we had a conversation. He was reliving memories for me. (And I know it's all true, because my MIL told me what they did last Wednesday!) I am reveling in this episode, because no matter how much book learning you have in your field, when you see your child doing something for the first few times, it's AMAZING.

What I'm listening to: Nothing
I just: Read Defamer
Now I'm gonna: Get Colin from daycare so we can cook dinner together

No comments: