Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election Flashback

Now that the 2006 elections are behind us (mostly), I thought I'd pull out my favorite piece of junk mail - er, informative voting mail - that I've ever received. Every time I read it, I giggle. I just remember that none of the other propositions listed were annotated with the same amount of humor and dread as this one.


TURNS DRUG CRIMINALS LOOSE
Proposition 36
The social engineers will not be around when drug addicts break into your home.


I Googled (I know they hate that! Okay, "I used Google to find more information on...") Prop. 36 and found this information:

"The Substance Abuse and Crime Prevention Act, also known as Proposition 36, was passed by 61% of California voters on November 7, 2000. This vote permanently changed state law to allow first- and second-time nonviolent, simple drug possession offenders the opportunity to receive substance abuse treatment instead of incarceration. Proposition 36 went into effect on July 1, 2001, with $120 million for treatment services allocated annually for five years." (From prop36.org)

I can only imagine which political party sent me the "Turns Drug Criminals Loose" ad!

No comments: